Friday, November 18, 2011

Hopelessness

You know, after dealing with treatment providers for the past week, I can see how an addict would begin to feel really hopeless about ever getting help. You would think as a society that we would be thankful and welcoming to addicts when they finally hit that point and asked for help. I don't know how it is everywhere but in my state it is like running an obstacle course. There seems to be barriers everywhere you turn. It is frustrating for my husband and me and we are both college educated, professional people with good communication skills. Think about an addict that has had their brain muddied by drugs for months and years. How in the world does an addict get help if they don't have an advocate helping to decipher everything?

Unless you are ready to write the $30,000 check, which we cannot, you are basically beholden to whoever happens to answer the phone. If anyone answers at all.

He is on two waiting lists now. One place wants him to go through "observational detox". He just spent 6 days in a detox unit!

Anyway, like I said last night. We are hanging in there. We aren't giving up. I hope my son doesn't either.

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately society still looks down on addicts as if they made a choice to have this lifestyle. They made a choice to try drugs, I don't think any of them said "I'm going to try heroin because I want to be jobless, homeless, friendless, sick, looked down upon, have a criminal record and possibly die young". The AMA calls it a disease but treatment for it is outrageously expensive and usually one time in rehab is just not enough.

    Sorry, I'm bitter and upset today. I agree, its just not a good system at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cost to society NOT treating an addict is much more financially draining to society than treating them.

    I would say we lobby our lawmakers but until addcition becomes as sexy as war we will never get their attention. (I hope the sarcasm was noted in that remark)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri - I remember navigating the system and I completely agree. Both my husband and I worked on it for days. How in the world would an addict ever find the help they need by themselves -- especially if they have no funds, no home, and insurance refuses "inpatient treatment"...PLUS I encountered some very rude people staffing a few of the hotlines.

    (big sigh) It should not be this difficult. They are asking for help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dee,
    You are so right! Would we as a society rather pay the cost of incarcerating them over and over or eat the cost of repeated trips to the emergency room. Yes, we have run into very rude people, people who wouldn't return phone calls, or would return a call and promise to call back within a certain amount of time. It angers me on so many levels. The search for treatment for a loved one is a highly emotional one and for the service providers not to recognize that is untenable. My son is wound so tight right now that we are all feeling it. If he were having to sort the details he would not be able to do it.

    Anyway, there is my first sermon for the day! Stay tuned, I am sure there will be a couple more! :-)

    ReplyDelete