Tuesday, November 15, 2011

He's Got a Long Way to Go!

Saw my son briefly this evening. This has got to be the toughest detox for him yet. 5 days since he used and he is still barely coherent. He is getting Valium every 12 hours but I thought he would be more clear. Still it was good to see him. He is supposed to move to the residential program tomorrow. He hasn't been asking questions about the process and we haven't spoken to anyone about it. He signed a release so that we can talk to his care providers which we will do in the morning. This facility is for dual diagnosed patients and they have psychiatrists on staff. Hopefully they will address his depression and anxiety issues while he is there.

The good thing is he is planning to stay and is even looking a little further down the road at transitional living after the 30 day period is over.

I asked him tonight why he decided it was time to go to rehab and he said that the morning before he made the call he found himself at some woman's house. He didn't know her, didn't know where he was and didn't remember how he got there. He walked into the bathroom and looked at himself in the mirror and thought to himself, "This is how I am going to die". He came to our home Friday night and saw his son and decided he didn't want to die. I don't know if this is true but does it matter? He is in a treatment program that he decided to go to without nagging or pressure from us.

I think I will sleep well tonight.

Peace to you all.

2 comments:

  1. Who really knows what cause that moment when our children have that profound experience that trips the trigger.

    Our son told his girlfriend it was when we finally allowed him to choose his life, continue the way you are going but we cannot walk this path any longer. His profound experience according to his girlfriend was that his life was causing him to lose not just everything but his family too. That was his profound experience.

    I truly believe that for an addict the profound experience is a very personal thing that we may never understand but that doesn't really matter does it?

    I'm pulling for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that seeing himself in that mirror the other morning was his profound experience. I really hope so. Like Ron said, sooner or later that's what initiates a change, something that happens inside the addict. My son, he hasn't had one yet that I know of.

    ReplyDelete