Friday, January 13, 2012

Forgiveness

This is the first weekend since my son has been in rehab that we aren't going to make the trip to see him. My husband and I are taking a much needed post-holiday break.

He called from his counselor's office today. Low and behold he is already out of money for the pay phone!

Anyway, today we talked about forgiveness. He said he knows that he is going to have to forgive himself in order to remain in recovery. I agreed.  I let him know that it is hard for me to forgive myself for lots of things but I am working on it. I also let him know that I forgave him a long time ago and I all I want is for him to be healthy. He choked up a little and then replied, "That helps a lot".

He called his dad too. My husband is a DJ on community radio on Friday nights and he dedicated a song to our son tonight. I hope our son was able to hear it.

Still praying.

2 comments:

  1. Forgiving themselves/ourselves is one of the biggest obstacles they/we encounter. It is so hard to be merciful with ourselves. I will pray that he can see himself the way God see's him. I tell my daughter that the past is nothing, it has no claims on her future, its just a memory if you leave it behind and live a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgiveness is about the present. The past is over and cannot be changed.

    Forgiveness for himself is about how he lives today.

    ReplyDelete