Wednesday, January 25, 2012

and then my phone blew up!

My son called my phone 3 times before I  picked up. This is how it started out, "Mom, I need a favor". I told him that if it involved money the answer was no. He was floored! They were getting booted from the hotel they were staying in. I told him that was not my problem and that they might consider the Salvation Army Shelter. He wanted to know if he could come home with me. I told him that HE could come home with me IF HE could pass a drug test.

His response was if you can't help me that's okay. I told him that I love him and that he is a smart and resourceful young man. He said he doubted it. I told him I love him again and he hung up.

I wish that was the end of the story. He called again and asked for a ride to the bank so the girl he met in rehab could get money for one more night at the hotel. I agreed to do that. A promise for 30 minutes of my time turned into 2 hours. After they got back to pay the rent on the room they were refused a room. I took them to another trashy place that they could afford for tonight.

I kept thinking to myself, "Why do people feel like this is an okay way to live?".

I just don't get it. I suppose families without addiction wonder how we live the way we live.

It is what it is.

5 comments:

  1. The thing is...we POA bloggers all understand the experience of you going through this....and watching their awful decisions and your feelings while you went through it. We understand more (much more) than we'd ever imagined we'd understand when our precious sons/daughters were our loved babies. In fact, we couldn't have imagined our babies ever growing up to be involved or involve us all in this craziness. Sigh.

    You did such a great job though....way to go for you. Will keep them in my prayers and hope for a better path for them. Hang in there,...one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Terri!! I hear you. We do live in a world of crazy, don't we? It is never a straight line of crazy either. The crazy just swirls around with no rhyme or reason. You are doing exactly what works for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got to where I hated the phone to ring. But then when it didn't ring for a day or two I would sit on the edge hoping it would ring.

    I admire what what you are doing. Take care of yourself and go where you need to not where he wants to take you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to hate for the phone to ring also.... then it wouldn't for a few days, and then when it did, within seconds of answering, I'd feel myself starting to get sucked into the swirling chaos and wish it hadn't rung.... and then feel bad for feeling that way. Craziness indeed! You did good, in my humble opinion.... you did what you felt comfortable with, within the boundaries YOU had placed.... Even though it took longer than expected, you held to them. Prayers continue. Hug!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your support. Yesterday was rough but I got through it. Each time I stick to my guns I feel just a wee bit stronger. I won't say makes practice makes perfect but it helps.

    ReplyDelete