Wednesday, January 11, 2012

10 More Days

According to the phone conversation I had with my son Monday night he is going to be released from rehab in 10-15 days. He has done very well in rehab. Some of the counselors have commented on what a smart, good hearted, fun person that he is and how much growth that they have seen in the time he has been there. I tell them that I have always known those positive traits about him. There was never any doubt about that. I just don't like the mean, lying, manipulative, destructive part of him that comes out when he is in active addiction.

When I asked what kind of plan he had for when he is discharged his response was, "I just want to get a job and start over". That is not exactly a plan for continued recovery. I am working on letting go of my anxiety and my reflex to develop a plan for him. I need to work on my plan for my continued recovery after he gets out. That is when his really hard work will begin and I know that I will have to work hard to stay on my path of recovery as well.

Saying a prayer for us all.

1 comment:

  1. When Alex was to get released from rehab there usually was a meeting with us him and counselors and us and counselors alone. He always signed the HIPPA release. We told the counselors to be sure and work on a release plan.

    We learned after the first rehab when we did exactly what they said not to do and he did exactly what they said he would do. RELAPSE within 2 weeks. After that we listened.

    We told the counselors we would support his recovery but he had to have the plan because he wasn't coming home. That way they could help him into a clean living facility. It worked best that way. The counselors worked his plan with him and we stopped hearing exactly what you heard, get a job and start over.

    You are doing good to recognize that you need a plan too. As you plan to get on with your life also have a plan for if he relapses. That way if it happens you are not reacting your are working your plan.

    ReplyDelete