Monday, April 1, 2013

Moving right along

My son came to our house on Saturday to enjoy a meal with most of his family, minus a sister and brother that had to work. He met his niece for the first time and got to spend some fun time with his son. It was a very good day for all of us.

I went by to take my son some stuff during my lunch break. He told me that he went to a 6:30 a.m. meeting with some folks staying in the facility he is in. He said he was in the kitchen area and a group was headed out and asked if he wanted to go. He said, "I didn't even know that they had 6:30 a.m. meetings". At this meeting he met a man who is a Vietnam veteran and who is 24 years clean from heroin. He asked the man to be his sponsor. I told him that God must have put him in that kitchen at 6:00 a.m. for a reason. He looked pleased with himself and like he is excited about something again. He is going to a meeting again tonight and then to another event with his sponsor afterward.

He told me that this guy is a real bad ass. I asked if he is as bad ass as my son thought he was at one point. He said, "Yeah, but this guy is real deal. He won't take any of my bullshit". This sounds like the perfect sponsor for my kid.

So again today, I am thankful that my son chose life. I am hopeful that he will again tomorrow as well.

5 comments:

  1. A great sponsor is a great blessing. Wonderful news !

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what it takes to get well...desire to give 100% and a sponsor who knows the way out.

    I'm so happy for him, and for you...and his son...and...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, he is moving in the right direction, Teri! One step at a time. I am hopeful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless his heart.....he's doing it! His feet are moving. That is huge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Live for the moment. I am happy for your son and your family.

    ReplyDelete