Friday, April 19, 2013

I jinxed it.

I wrote about relapse in my last post. Must it be inevitable?

My son thought he could go to a bar and listen to some music and get up on the stage and sing a few songs and stay sober. When he got back to the sober living facility he got a breathalyzer and was busted.

He has to meet with his counselor today and they will determine the next step. Likely he go back to inpatient for two weeks.

Did he get the money by selling the gift cards that I gave him? Maybe. Does that make me responsible for the relapse? No. His decision, his relapse, his consequences. Did I learn something from this myself? Yes. Only food, necessity items and clothing from here on out.

This is the first time he relapsed that I didn't feel crushed. A little sad, a little disappointed but not crushed. This is the first time that I have felt that it really has nothing to do with me. There is not a damn thing I could have done to stop it.

I am thankful that this happened in a controlled environment. He went back got busted and is dealing with the consequences. This is improvement. He could have decided not to go back to the sober living facility and go on another binge but he didn't. This could be a good thing. I am hopeful that it will be.

3 comments:

  1. FYI, as far as clothes, if you give him clothes cut out the tags. Not just the store tags but clothing labels. Stores will take them back with there tags and give a store credit card that is them sold but if you cut out the clothing tag they cannot be returned. HOW DO WE KNOW THIS CRAP! LOL

    You're right, it's all on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get clothes at Goodwill when I do get clothes and if I buy something new I take it out of the package and wash them before I give them to him.

      Delete
  2. heartbreaking.....

    ReplyDelete