Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Paths that cross

When I wrote this particular post a month or so ago, I had not seen the father that I mentioned there, in our work place. I have seen him twice in the last couple of weeks. The first time we just exchanged hellos from opposite ends of the hallway.

Today we actually walked toward the front of the building together. He asked how I was and I responded by telling him that today I am good. He told me his son had already relapsed but was lucky enough not to get kicked out of his transitional living. Actually the way he phrased it was, "he already had his relapse". Which implies to me that he thinks it is inevitable. It happens I know, boy do I know, but must it be inevitable. Some of the addicts I talk to say it doesn't need to be.

I told him that I was sorry to hear that. He just shook his said, "I just don't know, I thought he had reached the end. I just don't know". Then he said, "I guess that is just the life of addiction". I agreed and said that it really stinks for all of us. I offered to keep praying for his son and we parted ways.

Somehow I always thought this man was taller. I did have on heels today but I towered over him. Could it be that he is letting his son's addiction literally beat him down?

I saw my son today. I took him some gift cards for food and one for a restaurant that is across the street from where he is staying. I know he can sell them if he wants to but that will be a decision he will have to make and live with. He looked great, he was clean, clothes were clean, he smiled freely and laughed easily. I hope this guy sticks around. I'd like to get to know him better.

Thankful that today my son is picking life.

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that your son is doing well. Thank you God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relapse is not inevitable because if if was no one would ever get sober I mean it might happen but it cant keep happening if people get sober, right? And if people around the addict think its inevitable, it doesn't give the addict the confidence needed not to relapse, you know. Self confidence issues is at the root of addiction and giving confidence to an addict goes a long way, trust me I know. My last post was about finding confidence. I'm so glad your son is happy and enjoying life. We all have our day, when everything changes. :)

    ReplyDelete