Monday, April 29, 2013

It is just what they do.

My son came to the event that my husband organized last night. I knew that he was planning to come but I was hoping that he wouldn't. A bar is not a good place for him to be and he once again proved it.

I never saw him drink but he was definitely intoxicated. Several people that attended are friends of ours and know that he is an addict. A few came and told me they were sorry. A couple actually chewed him out. I was a little embarrassed but then I told myself that him being drunk has nothing to do with me.

He told me at one point, "At least I'm not out sticking needles in my arms". What sense does that  make? I couldn't  even  respond to him. I made a point  not to get into it with him. I didn't want my husband's night ruined by some outburst from my son.

I will have to tell him at some point that if he is not working a recovery program he will not be allowed to come to my home to visit his son. I really believe that is where I am at with this. I have let him come when I knew he was using as long as he wasn't high. At least that was the agreement. Of course if he wasn't high when he arrived he very quickly found a way to get high.

Anyway, other than my son doing what addicts do, the night was awesome. It was very well received by the folks in attendance.

I think my oldest son and his wife are bringing my granddaughter to my office today so that I can show her off! Then I get to go to lunch with them. I will also probably get to pay. Oh, well.

Happy Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry. :o( Today sounds so nice though....except for the paying part! lol Why does it always seem to go that way??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I had a great lunch with my kids. It was worth the $40 that I spent. It was fun to watch them as all my co-workers ooohed and ahhhed over the baby. I'd do it again tomorrow.....if I had $40 more for lunch. :-)

      Delete
  2. Yes, Terri! You must stick to your boundaries and not tolerate anything that deviates from your rules. If we give the addict the little finger, they will always take the whole hand. If they see that you will tolerate one unacceptable behavior, they will move on to the next one without skipping a beat. It is hard to see them backsliding when they have done so well for even for a short period of time. Be good to yourself because you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I told him today that unless he is SOBER he won't be allowed in our home. Sober from all substances. You can't pick and chose sobriety.

      Delete