Friday, April 19, 2013

Is this usual?

So, my son got kicked out of his sober living for all the "fun" he had in the bar last night. We weren't sure earlier in the day what would happen. I guess about an hour ago he called his dad and told him that he had to be out of there by curfew tonight.

Dad offered to pay to get him back in inpatient if my son could manage to get a bed there. Offered to come and pick him up and take him there. Son came up with "plan b".

His sponsor has an extra room in his house. He is going to let my son stay there with him. Is that usual? It just seems odd to me. This is the first time my son actually went as far as to get a sponsor so I am not sure what kind of boundaries there are supposed to be with that type of relationship.

Dad told son that the offer of paying for in-patient is still on the table but if he makes the decision to go and get high then all bets are off.

He sent me a text and told me he didn't want us to be mad and that he wants us to be supportive in his recovery. I told him that we are always supportive of recovery and that I am not mad and that I love him.

His life, his decisions, his consequences.

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry, Terri. It's up to him. Go do something nice for yourself. You deserve it. You are a special mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry he got kicked out, I wish that they gave them at least a second chance. I haven't really heard of sponsers offering to take people in but I mean he may really just be trying to help your son out, I guess that is a tough one to call without knowing the sponser. I'm praying for your son that he will still work his recovery Terri. I think that you are handling everything in a really great way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you go to treatment your told the rules - don't follow them and your OUT - no chances and that's how it should be. I had the exact same thought about my son's sponsor last year when he took him in as well. And I felt even worse when I googled the guy - LOL! I kept my thoughts and opinions to myself- said nothing to my son.
    Truth was he was trying to give my son a break because he'd been in the same situation and wished someone had helped him out along the way. My son now has his own place, a steady job that he is exceeding in and is on the longest stretch of being clean and sober in his 14 years of addiction. And he did it on his own - I stopped enabling him.

    ReplyDelete