Sunday, February 24, 2013

You never know who you will see at rehab....

My husband I went for the family group session at the rehab my son is at on Saturday. Both of us feeling a little angry that we are in this spot again. I guess that is not how we should feel but there you go. It was good to see him, he didn't look as bright eyed as I had hoped. In fact he actually looked high to me. He said he had been tested two times since he had been there so I am hoping it was just my imagination. I guess time will tell.

When we walked in the room was full and there were only two seats left together so that is where my husband and I sat. I didn't immediately notice the gentleman and lady sitting just to our right but when I did the man looked very familiar, then I thought to myself, "No way". I was hoping I was wrong but when introductions were made I realized who it was. It was the judge that oversaw my son's juvenile case 7 years ago. A man that I know on a professional basis. He was just elected to a higher court which means he works down the hall from me. I didn't make eye contact with him but both he and his wife looked my direction more than once. I know he must have been mortified. I was embarrassed for him. They were there to see their son who is a couple of years older than mine.

This just goes to show you that addiction is not picky. It will take anyone it can down to hell with it. I will reach out to him next week and let him know that I respect his families right to privacy and that I have no intention of telling anyone that I saw him there.

Geez Louise, this disease is running rampant. Is there anyway to stop it?

3 comments:

  1. First time we took Alex to an inpatient rehab we are sitting in the common area while they were testing Alex. A group session ended and all of these people walked out into the common room and there was a person we knew coming out of the group session. We did not not know he was an addist till that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make it a point to say hi and give a hug or a pat on the knee, something.....even to an acquaintance, just because my God, we are both THERE. I want them to know I feel their pain and I am not judging. I am sitting there in the same pain they are in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette, I was too stunned to know what to do. I'll make a point next time to reach out to the wife at least.

      Delete