Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Another Trip to the Rodeo

I spoke to the social worker at the hospital my son is at this afternoon. He is being discharged tomorrow. The good news is he has agreed to go to a 30 rehab program. Right now he is talking like he will go to chem free living after he completes the 30 days.

The social worker asked if I had any questions. I really didn't, at least none that I really wanted to know the answers to. I told her that I was surprised that the insurance company paid for as many days has they have. She alluded to the "condition" he was found in after being missing for two days. I know the police found him in a ditch, I really don't want a visual of what that looked like. I have had those nightmares so many times..

His lady friend came by and brought his duffel bag with his stuff last night. I didn't look at it until this morning. There was a pair of shoes, a belt, a man's shirt a pair of shorts, a ladies shirt, a set of twin size sheets with pink flowers on them, and his tourniquet.

He called and asked that I bring his clothes to him this morning. He said he only had one shirt and one sock. I told him what was in his duffel bag. He was quiet after that. I agreed that I would go to Goodwill and pick up a couple of things and drop them off. I told him that I didn't want to see him, and he said he didn't want me to see him right now. While I was there looking for stuff I thought to myself, "How many times have I done this?" I almost broke down in the store.

My husband and I also agreed that we would pay the necessary fee to get him into the rehab. How many times have we done this? How do you put a price on your kid's life? I spent a thousand dollars on a root canal and crown recently to save one tooth, $200 seems to be a very small price to pay for a chance for him to get it together. Maybe this is the time it will happen.

He told me through tears today that he is not doing this for me this time. He is doing it for himself.

That is where it starts, right? They finally find some value in themselves and want to be healthy and part of life.

I am hopeful. I am cautious.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

4 comments:

  1. Terri, I am praying that this is the time for your precious son. Praying for you and your husband as well. Thanking God he is alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can only hope and pray. And I will.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri its a very positive thing that he wants this for himself. I am hopeful that he will see it through. Remember to take care of yourself as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No one really knows if this is "the time" probably not even your son. But you did a good thing going to the Salvation Army for some clothes and I got a feeling you did the $200 as much for yourself as for him.

    Terri, you did a good thing. Now it is all wait and follow through.

    ReplyDelete