Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"Guess where I am at?"

I finally answered the phone yesterday and this is how I was greeted. I calmly responded that we knew he was in jail and why. He couldn't understand how we found out. I said, "It was in the paper".

He was silent for a breath. He said he got tired of running. My smart mouth said, "Well, I heard you got tackled and had no choice but stop". I know he meant something different. I probably should have kept my mouth shut.

He is in for 30 days on an old warrant. One I knew nothing about but am not a bit surprised. His court date on the new charge is not until January 21st. Unless he bonds out. I told him that we would not bond him out. He said his prepared to just be there until he is released. He informed me that he will not be home for Thanksgiving or Christmas. I sort of already had that much figured out.

He still has a warrant in a near by city for unpaid fines. I don't know how that works....will they check for other warrants before they release him? If not I may suggest he turn himself in and just get it over.

When he gets out he will have no apartment and no job. He will be homeless again. I hope he will work on something for when he gets out. He said that he wrote me a letter and asked that I write him back. I will let him know that we won't pay his rent while he is in there and that I will go talk to the landlord about releasing both of us from the lease.

I guess I will be the one to go clean out the apartment. I can only imagine what I will find. I'll plan to take a bunch of black trash bags and just load most of it into those. The only thing of value he has there is the microwave that I bought him (if it is still there) but even that is not worth much.

I learned a valuable lesson from this. I won't ever put my  name on a lease or utilities with him again. Well, I won't say never but the situation will need to be totally different than it was this time. I'll go with my gut instead of my heart.

He said that he is safe and he just wants to get all this over with. I hope he means everything, drugs, the drug life style the whole thing.

Today I am thankful. I am thankful that I will spend the holidays with my family of origin along with my husband, other two children, my daughter-in-law and my grandchildren. I am thankful that my son is not out on the street and that I won't wonder all day tomorrow if he has food to eat and whether he is cold and lonely. I am thankful that for today he is alive and that there is still hope that he will find his way to the right path.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!! No matter how bad things are with your addicted child remember that if they are alive today be thankful and be hopeful that tomorrow could be the day they turn around.

5 comments:

  1. I love your last paragraph. I hope you have a beautiful day with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how much it hurts to write a post like this but I also know how much it releases us that hurt.

    My experience is that I would definitely write him regularly. Even if you talk. There is something about putting something on paper that is therapeutic for us all. Maybe it is just me but I always thought of letters I wrote Alex and how it would be something he could touch that I touched and he could read over and over to try and get what he needs from us.

    No one but us other POA's can understand how thankful you are today to know your son is in protective custody during the holidays.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you Terri.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't fix stupid...and God knows addicts can be so dang stupid. They call it a Police Blotter here. I think they might as well just call it what it is which is :The Humiliation Blog I hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving Terri! I am hoping and praying that this will help your son to turn things around again. I can't imagine how heartbreaking this is for you but I agree with you that he is off the streets and is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving, Terri. Yeah, I know the feeling. My girl spend Thanksgiving and Christmas of 2006 in jail. It is the most humbling, but also calming feeling knowing they are in protective custody, when that chair at your holiday table is empty. Like Ron said, nobody but a PoA would understand.

    ReplyDelete