Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Profiles

My grandson spent a couple of nights with us over the weekend. He always wants to sleep with "gawanny" when he comes over and of course what "gawanny" can refuse a cute little fella anything? When he wakes up in the mornings he always asks, "Will you snuggle me?" well, of course!

This weekend I woke up and just watched him sleep for a little bit. Except for his curly hair his profile looks just like his dad's at that age. It made my heart hurt just a little to see the image of my son at the age of 3 right next to me. The innocent little boy before drugs. When I could still make things better for him with a kiss on the cheek and a Ninja Turtle bandage.

I haven't seen my son in about a month now and he showed up at my office today. Security let me know he was downstairs and asked if I wanted him to come up or if I just wanted him to wait there. I asked that they have him wait. I had no idea what shape in might be in or what he might want from me.

He was shaved and looked neat from a distance. When I got closer I could smell that he hadn't bathed in a day or so. He was thinner than he was the last time I saw him and very pale. I told him he looked really thin to me and he said it was because he walks everywhere he goes.

He wanted to know about Thanksgiving. I told him that if he could pass a drug test next Wednesday that he could ride with us to his grandparent's home with us. This is a 3 hour trip to and from. He said that he hasn't used in a couple of weeks now. I told him what I had heard from a couple of different people. Of course those are all lies. As he is calling BS on all those people I noticed a blood stain on the front of his shirt. SIGH....

Anyway, I set my boundary. It will be up to him to stay within that boundary. Will it be hard not to take him with us if he test positive? Yes, I am pretty sure it will be hard but I am ready to stick to my guns.

For today I know that he is alive. I keep repeating to myself that where there is life there is hope.

2 comments:

  1. We had our last baby when my girl was 12. The baby just happened to be the spitting image of my girl. About 6 months after the baby's big arrival my girl began to unravel. Yes....I've gone over it and over it in my head. Was it because we had another baby? Did she feel displaced? My attention was elsewhere and she was clambering to grab it back but her efforts just got out of hand? The point though of bringing this up is that I used to look at little one and it was like having a past and present live version of my girl in the house. It was so painful. I can relate to what your feeling as you watch your grandson sleep.
    I like your boundary ... It's a good one mama. Stick to it. Hard as that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good plan Terri! I wish you a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete