Sunday, November 3, 2013

Biscuits and Gravy

There are three things that I cook that my son loves to eat, fried chicken, chicken and dumplings and biscuits and gravy.

He got up very early this morning after sleeping all day yesterday. He got up a couple of times yesterday to go to the bathroom and to eat. Other than that I didn't see him much. I did have an opportunity to suggest he go see a therapist. He said he would think about it.

He was out of bed when I got up. I got the newspaper and went outside to read it. It is a beautiful fall day here in Arkansas. When I came back in I asked if he would like to have some biscuits and gravy for breakfast. He looked at me like, "Duh!".

I cooked his food and put it on a plate all pretty like he did my supper on Friday night. I even sprinkled a little paprika on the gravy to give it color. He laughed when I told him that is what I had done. Then I went back to the kitchen and folded an napkin to look like a flower and handed it to him, he laughed again and stuck it behind his ear. It felt good to hear him laugh and to laugh with him.

My wallet went missing for a little bit this morning. I asked my son if he had seen it anywhere. His face fell, he said, "Mom, I really need for you to find your wallet. This is the first time I have spent the night here in a long time and I don't want to leave and it still be gone". I told him I was sure that it was in the house and I must have misplaced it. Actually, I hate to say that my first thought was that he took it. Old habits.

I found it pretty quickly and let him know. He was relieved. I told him that I take precautions when he is there and usually lock my stuff up. I let him know that those precautions were for both of us. So he isn't tempted and I don't have to be suspicious. Last night we ordered a pizza and I was afraid that I left it out, but I had put it in my bedroom in a drawer.

He apologized for sleeping all day yesterday. I told him it was okay, that his body must have needed to rest. He thanked me for letting him be here. He said he was afraid that this weekend would have been really bad if he had been there alone. I didn't press for details.

He started getting anxious and I told him that we would head back to his place as soon as I got my shower. When I came out of my bedroom he was sitting in a chair with his laundry basket at his feet. We loaded the car with some groceries that I bought for him and his clothes and I took him to his apartment. Part of me wanted to just keep him here. I know that wouldn't be good for either of us.  After we unloaded the car he gave me a big hug and thanked me again for letting him come here. I told him that I love him and that I would see him soon.

He took the left over biscuits with him. I hope when he eats one he will think about how much his mom loves him.

3 comments:

  1. Sometimes the very best thing to do is to take exactly what is given. Seems like there was a lot given this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an awesome mom! I hope he progesses. He has a great person to model!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron is right. It makes my heart smile.

    ReplyDelete