Friday, November 15, 2013

Don't Judge

I mentioned last spring when my son was in rehab that my husband and I noticed that there was a judge from our community in family group. His son was in the same rehab my son was in for the same addiction.

We ignored each other the first few times we were all there. Finally he came up and shook my hand. I have run into him a few times in the building we both work in. If no one else is around we ask each other how the other's son is doing. Last time we talked his son had relapsed and mine was doing well.

He was presenting at a conference I was at this week. We were both standing in a doorway chatting when the question was asked, "How is your son?". I told him that he is back out there. He said he was sorry. His son is doing okay today. I told him that I wish my son would get arrested. He said that if he is in jail at least I would know he is alive. I just shook my head. He replied, "I know, I've been there".

As he walked away he reached out and touched my arm. That spoke volumes.

Praying for yours and mine tonight. Praying for you too.

2 comments:

  1. THAT is one of those simple acts of kindness that mean so much that I just blogged about the other day. Those simple things mean so much, more than anyone who hasn't gone through this can understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is this sublime connection between PoA's. Unfortunately, we understand stuff that no one else would even have a clue.

    ReplyDelete