Monday, December 2, 2013

His Letter

My son sent a note to he father and me. It basically told us the same thing that he told me during our phone conversation last week. He told us that he was safe for and that he is tired of running and was going to deal with the hand he has been dealt.

He also gave us a list of things that we can provide or send to him. We could put money on his book, send him a phone card, send him paper and stamped envelopes. He has no socks so that would be nice too. Geez Louise!

I am going to write back today and tell him that I am not going to send a phone card but that I will allow one collect call to us a week. I don't feel like I want to give him a phone card so that he can call the people he has been using with. He can have one of them to send him a phone card if they want to talk to him.

I will also tell him that I will include a couple of pieces of paper and a stamped envelope with each letter that I mail to him. Again, I don't feel obligated to provide a way for him to contact his friends.

He needs socks! I couldn't begin to count the number of times that I have replaced socks that he lost or left behind somewhere. I'll go to his apartment gather up what is there and take them to the jail.

Money on his book, why? I am taking care of his son's financial needs. I don't begrudge that for my grandson at all but I don't feel obligated to meet my son's financial needs.

He got himself in this mess. I really, really don't feel like I need to do anything at this point. He's uncomfortable, GOOD! He needs to feel it.

The holidays went well. We spent a lot of time with the grandbabies and  spent time with my family.

It was strange at my parents home. No on asked about my son except my mom. She just wanted to know if we had heard from him. I assumed that everyone knew what was going on and just wanted to ignore it. That was fine with me. I didn't want to talk about it.

We are preparing for Christmas now. What better way to start than with a holiday photo shoot with the granddaughter! I love taking pictures and like trying new things. I had a more fun taking the pictures that Miss Emmy had I am sure. These things make me smile! I am thankful that this little girl has a mommy and daddy who are sober and who make her the center of their lives.



3 comments:

  1. I admire the level head of yours. I brought money to my girl when she was in jail, $20.00 a week or so. She could buy personal hygiene items for that or else she would have had to do without, like a toothbrush, soap, deodorant, etc. She also could supplement her food with some snacks. This was 7 years ago, long before I realized the significance of my actions as an enabler. I wish you peace and strength during this difficult season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the picture is priceless...enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe your reasoning for saying no is spot on!! You might want to call the jail before taking socks to him. Find out if they provide any and if you are allowed to take him socks. The jail Aaron was in didn't allow anybody to bring them anything. It all had to be bought from the jail. To many people were sneaking in contraband inside items brought in for inmates. Just an FYI, money on the books can be traded! Believe it or not.... they will even trade a spoonful of coffee!!!

    Your granddaughter is adorable!! Love the picture!!

    ReplyDelete