Friday, December 27, 2013

Looking forward

I'm still here. The holiday was a little tougher than I anticipated. This was the first Christmas in 25 years that I didn't get to at least see my son. We spoke to him on the phone on Christmas Eve. He talked to his son for a minute. My grandson asked his dad, "What is your name?" That was a punch in the stomach for me. My grandson is only 3 and it has been 3 months since he has seen his dad and it will be another month at least before he will see him again. That is a very long time for a little boy.

Everyone says that he is too little to remember all this but I'm not so sure. On Christmas day the grandson seemed a little lost and sad. I think part of him knows that his dad is supposed to be there. It breaks my heart for both of them.

My crazy in-laws were there and complicated things. They divorced after 51 years of marriage last year. The father-in-law recently moved back in with the mother-in-law. Every time she got me away from the rest of the family she wanted to complain about him. At one point I put my hand on her shoulder and simply said, "So, nothing has changed has it?" and walked away.

Other than those things the rest of the holiday went well. I enjoyed watching the grands open their presents from Santa. My daughter got to spend some quality time with her big brother after the rest of us went to bed on Christmas Eve. She said that his was the best Christmas she has had in a long time and thanked us for it. I know it was more than the gifts and that means a lot.

I resigned my job and the 31st will be my last day. It is a little scary but it is time for me to move on. In addition to the family issues I have been working on (not dealing with, I'm changing the way I think about this) I have a supervisor who can't be pleased. If I take her own words and put them in a report she finds error. I have worked too long in this field to have to put up with that. Anyway, I am relieved to start a new year without worrying about coming back to this desk. I'll find something else soon. My husband is very supportive and is encouraging me to view the time off as a vacation and as a time to re energized and find my balance. Wouldn't that be nice? To feel balanced again?

Anyway, I hope you all got through the holidays with no blips.

Here are a couple of pictures of my grand babies on Christmas. They make me smile and I hope they make you smile as well.

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you, Terri. I know how hard it is to spend the holidays without all of your loved ones. The New Year is open with new possibilities. The children are adorable. I was able to see mine on Christmas for the first time ever. It does get better in time, even though sometimes it seems to take forever. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bris. It is hard but I am looking forward to the new year!

      Delete
  2. Oh the babies are adorable! I am sorry the holidays were sad. I think in many ways, even during the best of times, the holidays are such a set up for disappointment. When things are truly not good, it can just be so much work (too much work) to make it seem ok.
    Enjoy your vacation from work. I am looking at a lull coming my way in my employment, but I am so nervous about finances I can't begin to think of enjoying the time, which I really need! I need a break!

    ReplyDelete