Tuesday, October 22, 2013

I called it!

I'm not happy that I called it but I did. My son blew through $1000 in 4 days. Now he has no money and no job. He is at his apartment and is dope sick. I don't want to see it again.

He sent me a series of texts last night telling me that he doesn't know how he manages to get himself in the same mess over and over again. He always thinks he can control it. I reminded him that admitting he can't control it is the very first step.

He sounded pretty disgusted with himself. I reminded him that he has all the tools necessary to make a change in his life. He has to decide first whether or not he wants a life or to just continue on the path he is on. I told him that I don't have the answers for him and he will have to determine what those answers are for himself. I suggested two things, contact his AA family and to call the rehab he completed last spring to see if they would readmit him. Other than that I only offered that I love him and that I have hope that he will find his way.

His dad contacted him today and he is begging for us to get him into a rehab because he is sick. Most won't accept him if he is going through withdrawl. More importantly most won't accept him without $$$ up front. Our insurance won't pay for detox unless there are other issues.

I suggested to his dad that we call the police and have them do a safety check. They would find paraphernalia and probably drugs in the apartment. He has unpaid fines and this would lead to jail. He could detox there. Dad wasn't ready to do that yet. If he starts making threats to hurt himself again we will make the call.

Here is where I am at with the whole rehab thing at this point, I think he should take some responsibity for making the phone calls and finding a place. I am willing to provide the phone numbers and give him a ride. I'd probably even poney up the money. I am just so tired of the whole merry-go-round.

4 comments:

  1. Terri, I am so sad you were right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too :( I think that unless he makes the calls and checks himself in somewhere, it does not have a snowball's chance to do any good. I am sorry, Terri. Please just take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, my son has been to detox and rehabs 7 times. They want you to have drugs in your system to detox otherwise you would go straight to a rehab. My son will call me and ask for money so he has stuff in his system. I did call and ask the detox place if they need to have the drugs in system and they said yes. I live in MA. Usually from detox they send you to a rehab. I feel your anguish. Sue

    ReplyDelete