Thursday, December 8, 2011

You Just Never Know

I went to a luncheon today for work. A woman was there that I have known professionally for over 20 years. She is someone that I have always admired and respected and looked to for advice. She retired a few years ago and I rarely see her anymore. We are "friends" on Facebook and I have recently asked for prayers for my son on several occasions so she knew something was going on with him.

She approached me after the luncheon and asked how my son is doing. I told her that he is in rehab and seems to be committed to completing the 90 days. She asked if he was using drugs and I told her he was. With tears in her eyes she told me that her son is using drugs and that he needs to go to rehab but he isn't ready yet, he hasn't reached his bottom. She and her husband are trying to decide whether or not to make him leave their home. My heart aches for her. All those questions, all those doubts. I could see the worry and hurt in her eyes.

I never would have thought that this person would be dealing with an addicted child. You would think by now I wouldn't assume anything about anyone. I am sure there are people that would be shocked to know that I have a son who is an addict.

I told her to call me. I don't have the answers for her but I certainly can be sympathetic and can assure her that she is not alone in this battle and that there are support systems out there for her.

Please add her and her son to your prayers.

4 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me how many of us there are out there. Its a club no one wants to belong to. But fortunately for her, she has found someone that can understand. Maybe she should start reading your blog?

    I'm so glad your son is committed to 90 days. Keven told me last night he was leaving (after 2 days) but then changed his mind. UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara, I really am shocked that my son hasn't said that he was leaving. Everyday that he is there gives me hope. If my friend doesn't call me by Tuesday I am going to call her. There is no reason to fight this war alone.

    What are you wearing on your date Monday? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please email me! I have a question about your blog :)
    HeatherVonsj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete