Saturday, December 3, 2011

Pretty Cool

I took my grandson to visit his dad today. They haven't seen each other for three weeks. I'm really not sure if my son has seen his son through sober eyes more that a handful of times in the last 14 months, which is how long my grandson has been on this earth. I was both excited and anxious to see how the day would go.

It didn't start out well. My grandson has a cold and didn't sleep well last night and refused to take a nap before we left. He slept about 20 minutes on the way there. Usually he doesn't do well around strangers and the visitation room would be full of strangers.

I don't know if there is universal system within the world of rehab but at this particular one the loved ones of the person there must listen to a 5 minute talk about addiction and how we need to educate ourselves about addiction and how we aren't responsible for our loved one being there etc. That's fine, but a 14 month old could care less. He wiggled and squirmed and banged his toy on the table until I finally just put him on the floor. He took off toward the doorway leading to the rooms of the residents of the facility. I took off after him and before I got there I heard a big squeal and a laugh then a "Hi Dad!". My son was standing in the hall waiting for permission to come into the room. I grabbed my grandson and looked up to see my son with a huge smile on his face and tears in his SOBER eyes. A sight behold, I tell you!

My son took total responsibility for the baby for the next two hours. He played on the floor with him, took him to change his diaper, took him outside, and just followed him around if that is what needed to be done. I pretty much sat at the table and wished I could have brought a book in to read during the visit.

When it was time to leave my grandson clung to his dad for a minute and then let me take him. Thank goodness! I am sure I would have had a emotional breakdown if I had to pull him from his dad to put him in the car.

Today I am so proud of the man my son is trying to become. I pray that he will find the strength to continue on the path that he is on today again tomorrow.

Praying for you, yours and mine.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I started my day with your blog today! What a wonderful experience for all three of you! I hope these type of visits continue and that your son is inspired to stay sober for his son (and for himself of course).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am putting your son into my God box this morning. What a beautiful story. I am so glad I got to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Barbara and Annette. I like that idea of putting our kids in our God box. Annette thank you for that. I will put all of our kids in my God box as well. I hand my son over to God several times a day lately. I have to do this in order not to meddle with plan that I know that God has for him. I think in the end this makes things better for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful day that must have been for all three of you!

    ReplyDelete