Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Everything in it's own time

3 weeks ago my son called and said, "I know that I shouldn't be thinking about this now but...I don't think I want to go to a chem free house after I am done here. I just kind of want to get a job and start over." I agreed with him that he didn't have to think about that at that moment and suggested he give himself some time to explore all of his options.

He called last night and was in a great mood. He said he was happy that he was able to come home and is glad that he went back. I think he was happy with himself because he got through 3 days outside of the rehab without using. All he would have had to do is walk out the door and within 15 minutes he could have found a fix, but he didn't decide to do that. He also talked about the possibility of going to a chem free house when he is discharged from rehab in February. Again, I encouraged him to talk to his counselor and weigh his options. I told him that I knew he would make the right choice when the time came.

During this conversation the words that I have seen written in various blogs came to mind. Don't offer solutions, don't lecture, don't give opinions, talk less and listen more. Thank you all for sharing what you have learned.

So for today my son is working on recovery for the first time. It is awesome to see the man that he can become without drugs. It is a blessing to see him confident in himself. For this day I am thankful!

Praying for yours and for mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment