Monday, December 19, 2011

Emotion Filters

I've been working on my emotion filter for a while now. I have been trying to not let the emotion of other people influence me and how I go through each day. Some days are easier than others.

Something happened this weekend to make me really think about this. I went to visit my son at the rehab on Sunday. I had this weird feeling of anxiousness from the minute I walked in the door of the facility. I found myself watching the interactions between staff and the other families visiting in the room with us. I asked my son if something weird was going on there that day. He didn't know of anything and asked me why. I told him that I just "felt" something was going on. I told him that it was probably part of the curse of being co-dependent.

Probably not more than 5 minutes later all the male counselors were summoned to somewhere other than where we were. My son looked at me with wide eyes. I just grinned and said, "I told you". It was no big catastrophe. One of the residents got caught smoking and this is a tobacco free facility.

My son, grandson and I had a pretty good visit. When I carried my grandson into the hallway that leads to the visitation area he squealed and smiled. I think he knew we were going to see his daddy.

Praying for yours and for mine.

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I think many of us have a strong intuition about things. I know I do (not just bad stuff).

    Its so important and special that you take your grandson to see his daddy - I hope they remain close all of their lives. He's such a little guy now, he probably wouldn't know the difference - but your son sure does.

    Good for you for working on your emotional filter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My intuitive feelings have become much stronger since living through and dealing with my son's addiction. For that, I am grateful. Glad you got to see your son and that he got to see his daddy. :)

    ReplyDelete