Monday, August 6, 2012

SURPRISE! Not really.....

My son had talked about coming to visit his son this past weekend. Other than to say that was his plan he didn't do anything else to make it happen. He may have thought I would come through with money for a bus or plane ticket. I didn't.

He did call and get to hear his son playing at our house on Saturday and again on Sunday. He ended both calls in tears. He says that he misses his son so much that he plans to move back to our area. I'm not sure how he plans to do that. It really isn't my business is it?

I know that he misses his son. I didn't take this opportunity to say, "You made the choices that got  you where you are and now you have to deal with it". I didn't even want to say those things. It is pretty apparent that he is hurting enough without me adding to it. There is no doubt in my mind that he knows that he is responsible for where he is. The only thing I said was, "I know you will make the best decision for you". I also let him know that I love him. 

I think the old me would have bought a ticket or would have driven 5 hours to pick him up and 5 hours to bring him here. That isn't my responsibility. I would love for him to have a relationship with his son, he has to want that too and be willing to work for it. He has been resourceful in finding ways to get to music festivals and finding drugs or booze. If he wants to see his son he will find the way to do it. I believe it will mean more to him if he works it out on his own.

Praying for all of yours and you.

5 comments:

  1. A lot of good thoughts and actions in this note. You are so right, when he wants it enough then he'll do what it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dear, you got it. You hit the nail on the head. It is just hard to learn that we as mom can't fix everything.

    ReplyDelete