Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My journey begins

I met with my  new therapist yesterday and she was great. I was there an hour and hardly realized it.

She asked me if I was familiar with the terms enabler and co-dependency. I told her that my picture is probably in the dictionary next to both words to which she replied, "I expect it is".

We are going to start really focusing on me. Not my marriage, not my kids, just me. That is a strange feeling because I have never put any focus on me and my health.

I told her that for the first time in my life I don't have anyone to take care of. She said maybe it was my turn to take care of myself. Maybe she is right.

I know this will be hard work but I am excited to start.

6 comments:

  1. Wishing you nothing but the best on your new journey, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exciting!

    I'm trying to bring the focus back to me not an easy thing, I am considering seeing a therapist as well :0).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a right and even a responsibility to live the happiest life you can. I am proud of you for taking steps in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies. She gave me a reading assignment to re-read Codendent No More. This time I am reading and taking notes as I go. I am ready for some positive change in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that book! It helped me a lot and I often go back and re-read parts when I feel like I am slipping. I'm glad you are focusing on you!

    ReplyDelete