Tuesday, June 25, 2013

More of the same

My son sent a message on FB to me and my husband at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning saying that he needed to talk to us about a "good opportunity" that has been made available to him. I responded (much later that morning) that I hoped that whatever it is works out for him.

He responded later in the day not by telling us what the opportunity was but rather to beg us to loan him some money. He went into a long narrative about how he knows he owes us money already but that when his final annuity check come in October that he would pay us back.

He said that we have always told him we would help him if he is trying to help himself. Which we have always done. At this point however, he is still drinking and if he were honest he is probably doing other drugs as well. He doesn't have a job, he lost the one at the restaurant after about 3 weeks. He got one paycheck and I guess his final one. He doesn't have a place of his own to live. The only money he gets is from mowing yards (he says).

Then he played the guilt card, he doesn't want to end up living in a homeless shelter.

Neither of us responded to him. Of course we don't want him living in a homeless shelter either but we didn't make the poor decisions that he has made over and over again.

The woman whose home he is living in contacted my husband and said that our son is really upset about his grandfather dying. She was shocked to hear that his grandfather is not dead. She asked why our son would say that he was when it wasn't true. My husband told her that our son is easy to love but not so easy to live with and that is just how he is.

I would guess that she was threatening to make him leave so he made up a story.

I don't know what is going to happen with him this time. He has been given the tools to get sober and stay sober. He knows how to access treatment if that is what he needs. He knows the steps that he needs to take because he has started down the path before. This time it is up to him to do on his own.

I love my son and I have hope that he will do what he needs to do. Until then I will have to keep a distance from him. I won't bail him out of the situation that he has put himself in.

Praying for yours and for mine.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you refuse to ride the roller coaster. It really serves no purpose because it always leads you back to the same old place. Until he figures this out, he will continue to ride. Stay strong and concentrate on the joyful things going on in your life. Sending you hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for you and you are in my thoughts. I really believe your doing the right, and eventually your son will know it too. Take Care. xo

    ReplyDelete