Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stepping up is not always easy

My son turned himself in at two different courts today. My parents gave him a ride and paid bond at one of them. I hate that part but it is the choice they made not me.

He has two different court dates in January. Most likely he will be given probation and fines in both places. He is depressed about the unknown. He is beating himself up pretty good.

I reminded him that it could be a lot worse. He agreed.

I don't have a lot left to say to him. I love him but what he left to be fixed is up to him to be fixed. I hate that he is dragging others into this mess. But again, that is their choice.

I am proud of him for finally doing the right thing. I hope it works out.

2 comments:

  1. It's about little steps not giant steps.

    It's easy for him to drag others into his issues but one thing I had to remember with Alex is his lack of problem solving had him automatically falling back on others. That was the hardest thing for me was figuring out when to help and when he needed to be more resourceful. Of course it's a moving target and nothing is exactly the same each time. That is why it's so crazy hard.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, I have to remind myself of that when dealing with him. He lost so much time during his active addiction that even some of the smallest things are difficult for him to manage. In most areas he still operates like a 16 year old. My parents have pretty good boundries and can probably set better limits than I could. I am hopeful that he will honor his obligations to them.

      Delete