Thursday, March 8, 2012

100 Posts!

I never thought I'd be sharing such intimate details of my life with the blogosphere like I have in the last 100 posts that I have written. I am not sure I would be as healthy as I am today without writing about what is going on with my son and reading what others write about their addicted children.

I haven't talked much about any of the other addicts in my life. There have been a few. I probably didn't know it at the time but as I look back I can see that they were.

My brother is an alcoholic. I think I have known that for a few years but I had never said it out loud. None of our family has. He calls me at late hours after he has had a few drinks. I used to answer all the calls no matter what time he called but decided a couple of years ago not to answer if I wasn't in the mood to talk to him.

He sent me a text yesterday cussing me out for not including his 20 year old son in the activities that my sisters and I participated in this past weekend. I was shocked! He has never ussed that type of language with me. I am the oldest of six children and he is the fourth. Because of our age difference I ended up playing the mother role for a good portion of his growing up time. It felt like he had slapped me when I read the text. I responded to him by telling him that I love him but that he was way out of line. He apologized this morning. I'm sure he didn't even remember sending it.

My nephew goes to college near where we were all together and yes, he was invited to go out to eat with the sisters and to come hang out at their hotel. I didn't invite him to my house because my addict son was there at the time and I really didn't want to expose my nephew to any potential drama. We all know how quickly things can go south with an addict in the house.

Anyway, today I said it out loud. My brother is an alcoholic. There is no way to pretty that up is there?

Praying for yours and for mine today.

2 comments:

  1. I think I come from a whole line of problem drinkers, if not full blown alcoholics. You're right...it aint pretty.

    My brother might not be an alcoholic, but he loves his beer on the weekends...and, well actually he is a giant jackhole stone cold sober or drunk. There I said it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned we only have to take what we chose to accept. It is so hard but sometimes we can just say no to those we love bit when they are are unlovable, it is their loss.

    ReplyDelete