Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Sometimes it helps to look.

I have tried to avoid knowing what kind of place my son is staying in. I drive by the Salvation Army on the way home from work some days and I can see the folks lining up hoping to get a bed for the night. I accidentally went to the wrong shelter to pick my son up last week and it was the same kind of thing. Men were coming out of the woods behind the center with backpacks and trash bags waiting to get  in.

I finally looked up the one my son is staying at on-line today. It is a shelter for "the working homeless". People there are required to work full time jobs and are required to save 75% of their income until they can afford to leave. They have all kinds of programs and counseling offered there. There is a bicycle program for residents so that they can borrow a bicycle to get around on if they need to.

There is a day camp for children and a preschool/daycare for children of not only residents but other low income people as well.

I know the pictures on the Internet were of the place all cleaned up and organized but still, it is nothing that I imagined.

It seems like the kind of place that is there to truly give people a leg up if they are willing to take advantage of it.

I hope that my son will be one of their success stories. Actually, my real hope that he will be his own success story!

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like a place that offers hope as well as assistance. I will say a little prayer for him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful place! I am praying that your son will be successful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard about people get clear and sober in the gutter and I've heard about peple getting clear and sober in $30,000 month rehabs. I can only draw one conclusion, the common denominator is the person.

    I want and hope your son is that person.

    I do believe in the hand up is much better hand out philosophy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a good place. He can continue to improve from there.

    ReplyDelete