Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Homeless Shelter

I got a text from my son last night that just said, "I love you". I responded back that I love him to and that I will forever. I let him know that grandson will be at my house this evening if he wanted to call him and say hello. He thanked me for that and then said that he was going to have to move to a homeless shelter tomorrow/today. He gave me a story about how his boss ripped him off and didn't pay him for some work he had done. I really didn't continue reading the whole thing because I have heard this story before.

Why are the addicts always the victims? I know they put themselves in bad, horrible and dangerous situations but then they blame other people for being there. Uggh!

He called his dad this morning and asked if he could get a ride to a shelter if he could get in. Dad said of course. He called me to see if I would look up some phone numbers for him but I missed that call and by the time I called him back he had already found his way to a computer and was looking stuff up. He said he was with a fellow AA member whose wife sponsors a woman who runs the intake at a shelter in town. I told him that it sounded like he had everything under control and to let us know where he ended up.

He called his dad later in the day to say he had a ride. Dad told him he was proud of him for taking care of this on his own and that he loves him.

Wow! How did we get to the point that we are proud that our son can manage to get himself into a homeless shelter? I am sad for so many things but him going to a shelter doesn't really even make the top 10. I'm sure he was hoping that we would be shocked and feel sorry for him and allow him back in our house. I just keep telling myself that I didn't put him in this situation and it is not my job to bail him out of it.

I love him and I know he has the tools to do what he needs to do to be healthy. It is up to him to unpack them and use them.

2 comments:

  1. You are in my prayers I know how hard it is....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get to that point of being proud because if they can do this part on their own...then maybe...just maybe...they can take the next right step and begin to want sobriety and then maybe they will take the next step and start down that path. We may not want to admit it, but each little tiny baby step forward starts us on a path to hope.

    ReplyDelete