Thursday, March 14, 2013

Things that make us happy.

I remember the first time my son went in-patient. He was 17 and came home one night high on Xanex and vodka. He wanted to leave the house and we wouldn't let him. He tried to fight his dad and he cussed me. We had to physically put him in his room. He stomped and snorted all night long but finally calmed down around 3 a.m.

My daughter wasn't here thank goodness. I made arrangements for her to go and spend the weekend with my sister, 3 hours away because I didn't want her to be subjected to the chaos.

When my son "woke up" around 1 p.m. and he was still belligerent and combative. I had called a mental health facility earlier in the day to make sure there was a bed and that insurance business was taken care of in advance and I knew he would be admitted when we got there. After a battle and many threats that I wasn't sure I could follow up with he got in the car and we got him there for an assessment that lead to him being admitted for 6 days.

I just knew this would take care of the problem and that he would "wake up" and make some serious life changes and all would be good. That was back when I was still in "control" of his addiction.

When I told my family and people that I work with were he was at their first response was, "Oh, Terri. I am so sorry!" to which I responded, "No, this is a good thing".

Isn't that weird? They heard me talk about what we were dealing with and still thought in-patient care was something to be sorry about.

I guess what made me think of this episode is that my son was accepted into the chem free living program associated with his rehab facility. He called to let me know today and asked if he could get a ride there. Hell yeah, I  will give him a ride and buy his lunch on the way!!! I was elated to hear this. This news was the highlight of my week!!!!

He did this on his own. The only thing I did was to help locate some documents that he needed. He initiated the process. Made all the phone calls and did all the follow up. HE wanted this!

See what I mean! The crazy stuff that makes us POA's happy! I'm sure no one that I know that doesn't have an addicted child or other loved one will understand that this makes me happy. I am pretty sure some of them would look at me with sadness in their eyes if I told them. Not at all realizing how happy this decison makes me. That my son is chosing life, at least for today.

Today, I am hopeful that recovery is possible for my son.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, that is great, fantastic news.


    And yes, now that you ask I am the parent of an addict! I was just talking to my husband this morning and saying how happy (!) I was because my son had mentioned that he tried to do his court-ordered community service hours the day before. He hadn't actually managed to do it, went to the wrong office, the paperwork wasn't there, yada, yada, yada----but he'd made the attempt, it was his own initiative.

    So yeah, this sounds really good for your son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I get it.....I am so happy for you! Good for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy about this news.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Terri, I am hopeful with you! Never lose the hope. He is still so young! Him doing it all means a lot.

    ReplyDelete