Tuesday, March 19, 2013

That dog won't hunt anymore....

I'm admitting my southern raising with that phrase. It is just another way of saying, "this isn't working with/for me anymore."

My son called today and said he needed money for food. When I asked if they served any meals at the place he is at he said they didn't really, well maybe a sack lunch. And by the way, he needs it to do his laundry because he doesn't have any clean clothes. I told him I would come by during my lunch break.

He was waiting for me when I walked in. I told him that I wouldn't give him money but that I would take him to get some stuff. He sort of deflated at that but he followed me to the car anyway. He asked me why I didn't want to give him money. I just looked at him and said, "I think we both know that answer".  He didn't say anything else about that. He did hint that it was going to be hard to get a job if he didn't have a phone. I didn't offer a suggestion about that. Later he told me that he gave my phone number at a couple of places. I told him that I would get in touch with him if I get a call.

When we got to the store I told him to go shop and that I would meet him in about 30 minutes.When I went to look for him I heard his laugh then I heard a familiar voice. I walked past the aisle they were in without looking but I could here them talking about "meetings" and this familiar voice said that he goes to one that is alright and there are a lot of pretty girls there. I walked a few aisles further away. I didn't want to hear anymore of the conversation. At least this guy was talking to him about attending meetings.

He passed the shopping cart off to me and it looked like he was thoughtful about the kinds of stuff that he bought. Nothing extravagant, nothing that needed to be refrigerated, and enough to feed him for the rest of the week if he takes advantage of the two meals they do provide. I found that out by calling a woman that I know who is in recovery and who went through the same program. She also set me straight about giving him money, DON'T DO IT! Maybe 5 bucks to do his laundry once a week but nothing significant. I know this but it was good to be reminded.

He asked me if I had seen his friend that he was talking to in the store. I told him that I hadn't. His friend is one I wrote about a couple of months ago whose parents were very concerned for his safety. The guy is a very talented, good looking young man but he was also lost in the world of heroin addiction. Now, this friend is also in a chem free living facility that is not far from where my son is. I'm not sure this is a good thing, but maybe it is. I don't know, only time will tell.

My son is very sad. It is good that he can feel this sadness instead of putting the balm of heroin on it. I have hope that he will hold on and try to work the program. I have hope he will continue to chose life.

9 comments:

  1. Good job MOM. no money no time no place. Or anything that can be sold or traded.

    We did those grocery runs too and a stop at McDonalds. It isn't being mean, it is showing more love than you would ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, no money. But food because no one should starve. I know the feeling and would of appreciated those groceries runs much more if my mom had done it.

      Delete
    2. Chelsie,
      I laughed at family group on Saturday because our leader is reovery and she said, "I know how you mom's are, we come in after being gone for a few days and you say, "Are you hungry, can I fix you something to eat?". That is so me. I can't stand to thing of my kids hungry and he knows that is my trigger. Bless your heart!
      Me

      Delete
  2. I always just provided food as well, never money. I'm praying for your son that he will choose life and freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have hope for your son too. We can never give up hope. It sounds like you both handled this situation in a very healthy way,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, Terri! It is not easy for our kids to feel comfortable in their surroundings when they are sober. Suddenly they are faced with different problems than when they were chasing their high. My daughter is discouraged at times because she feels like she screwed up her whole life. Her dad tells her that she did and that she needs to get over it and deal with it. Easier said than done. I am glad that I am able to provide moral support. Sometimes that is all what's needed.

    ReplyDelete