Monday, March 18, 2013

The next step...

My son checked into chem free living today. We didn't offer any suggestions, didn't try to coax, didn't plead. All we did was support his decision to do what he thinks is right  for him. Oh, and give him a ride! ;-)

He was able to go straight from his 30 day rehab to the chem free living. I think he was relieved that he didn't have to face the world head on after only 30 days. I was relieved as well. We don't think it is a good idea for him to be in our home overnight and particularly not left alone, it would have been hard to tell him he couldn't stay there since he really seems to be making progress.

Those of you that have had kids in state funded treatment programs know that there is a very diverse population residing there. A few of the guys made me a little uncomfortable but, I reminded myself that even though they come from different backgrounds they all share the common denominator of addiction. I am sure my son has made many people very uncomfortable at times.

Anyway, he has taken the next step toward sobriety. Today he has chosen life and for this I remain hopeful.

3 comments:

  1. One step in the right direction at a time! I am really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great news! My son also stayed in a state facility for a month and yes indeed it was a diverse population but like you said that all had one thing in common the disease of addiction. I was really impressed with the program there and loved his counselor, it was the first counselor that my son actually felt comfortable with. So happy to hear that things are moving in the right direction for your son :0).

    ReplyDelete