Thursday, January 31, 2013

Family Traditions

Some things families pass down are worth keeping.

When my kids were babies my husband's grandmother told me the best way to get a baby who was fighting sleep to give up and go to sleep was to gently and slowly rub the bridge of their nose down to the tip until they finally relaxed and went to sleep.

I only had one baby that really resisted sleep and that is the son this blog is about. This trick always worked for him. Even after he got older he always liked me to rub his nose when he sick and felt bad. Even when he was drug sick, before I knew what that was, he would ask me to rub his nose.  

Tonight his son, my grandson, was here with us. He was fussy and really didn't want to go to sleep. I got in bed with him, sang to him, held him, gave him his stuffed animal, and patted his belly. Nothing that I usually do worked. Finally he said, "Wub my nose" and brought my fingers to his nose. That brought tears to my eyes but I did it. After about two minutes he was asleep. I guess his daddy does that when he is here with him. 

Thought I'd share.

6 comments:

  1. I rubbed the outside edge of their eye back towards the temple. Worked with our kids and it works with grandkids too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious....a nice memory I am sure. All of our kids slept with us as babies and toddlers... we did the whole family bed thing and even as bigger kids, if hey were struggling with something, they would climb into our bed with us. It was a safe, warm place to be. I will never forget my girl calling us to come and get her from a particularly rough run. We brought her home and she literally crawled up the stairs and got into our bed and didn't leave for a week, where she slept and slept and slept. I would bring her up soup and drinks.....she had curled into her nest and was just using on getting through. Dad moved out into the guest room for that week so I could sleep next to her. He said, "She needs you." Such a tragic time, but also filled with so many aspects of beauty too. Our girl returning to the safety of her babyhood, her family circling around her to help her heal...for that time at least.
    Anyway, your story reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. focusing on getting through....not using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son always wanted to sleep in my bed when he was sick. I always felt like he knew he was safe there. Thanks for sharing, Annette.

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to be a Grandma! How precious that he wanted you to rub his nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh thats so sweet. He knew about the nose rubbing, so touching. Thanks for sharing, you put a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete