Monday, October 15, 2012

Happy Birthday to Him and Happy Day to Me

My dad's family reunion was this weekend. I don't mean just my grandmother, her kids and their kids and their kids. There were people there that I didn't have a clue who they were. The only obvious thing were the family traits. Hair lines, nose, height, stomachs that pooch out over the belt line, loud voices, hugs all around regardless. It was fun.

It was also my son's 24th birthday. He is now the same age I was the day he was born. I drove 3 hours picked my dad up and then we drove 2 hours to pick my son up. We drove back roads of Arkansas to get to the "family farm". We laughed, we told stories, we were all sober! My son met my grandmother as an adult. My aunts fawned over my son, telling him and me how handsome he is. He really was handsome that day. I wish I had a video of him talking to my grandmother to share with you. He did all the right things and made her very happy.

We left the reunion and traveled two and half hours to my dad's  house. I made my son his favorite meal for his birthday.....chicken and dumplings. All three of us enjoyed it. The next morning I made biscuits and gravy...another favorite of my son's.

His aunts came over before lunch time and we laughed a lot. My mom is Arizona and will be home in a few weeks. We helped paint her kitchen as a welcome home gift for her. It was lots of fun.

I wish times with my son could always be like this. It was good to see him sober and happy. It was good to see him enjoy his family and bask in their love for him. I pray that it will be this way again one day.

I dropped him off at my uncle's house on Sunday. He complained about going there. I asked if it was better than being homeless? He answered that it is.

I am just so happy that he made it to  24, there were times that I thought he wouldn't. I pray that he will make it to 25 and be sober and healthy and be able to bask in the love of his family again.

Peace to us all.............

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful few days! I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Annette. Its so nice to string a few days of positivity (is that a word?) together. I could feel your joy in the post and reading it made me have hope for my own son. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri,
    It's funny how we don't take the good days with our kids for granted. We have gotten so used to the bad that the good are an exception, rather than the rule. I am so happy for you for every positive experience you have with your son. He is still so young, maybe he will come around. Life is full of possibilities!

    ReplyDelete