Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Another Lost Mom

I blogged awhile back about talking with a friend of my daughter's about her recent stay in a rehab facility in California. She had only be home for a couple of weeks and was contemplating what her next move would be. Her thought was that she would go to a sober living facility, get a job and keep working her program. 

She never made it. My daughter called me on Monday as I was about to board a plane for a meeting in another state and told me that this young woman's mom was going to call me for advice. Apparently she had contacted my daughter to find out if she knew where her daughter was. She was upset so my daughter suggested she contact me. This is not a topic I want to be the "expert" on.

I talked to the mom for a few minutes before I had to turn my phone off. Her daughter has been gone for several days and she hasn't had contact with her. This mom is looking for a way to help her daughter. I told her I would contact her late that day after I got to my destination. I told her that I don't have answers, I can just listen and share with her some of the ways I try to stay sane.

We made a date for lunch today. I am guessing that she won't call. If she does I know that the only thing I can tell her is that she needs to find a way to take care of herself and that her daughter will have to do the same thing. She needs to learn as much as possible about addiction. Read everything she can get her hands on. Maybe I will even direct her to the blogosphere. I know this is what has helped me the most. I loaded up my books on addiction and co-dependency and printed a list of Al-Anon meetings in her area to give her if she is receptive.

I hate this! I hate that drugs deprive of us of our children and deprive our children of their lives. Please add this mom to your prayers.


Update:
My intuition was right. She called around 2:00 and left a message with several reasons why she couldn't go today. I'll text or email her tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Terri, I think this mom is paralized with fear of the unknown. I know I used to be. In a way I did want to know everything about addiction but on the other hand... I think this is what happened to her. It takes a while to get "comfortable" with the subject, especially as it relates to your own child. Maybe her daughter called and lulled her into thinking everything is fine. I know that my daughter was a master at doing this in the early years. It is so much easier to believe your kid, even when deep dopwn inside you know it is BS that they feed you. You want to hear everything but the raw reality. I can so relate. Maybe you can keep in touch with her. She'll need you when she is ready. Thank you for being there for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will contact her on Monday. I understand why she cancelled on me. I was the same way. She is praying right now that everything will just go away. Been there done that. I'll be here when she is ready. Promise! Thank you for being here for me~

      Delete