Monday, October 10, 2011

You know how you can tell an addict is lying?????

A recovering addict asked me that question one time and of course the answer was, "their lips are moving". I saw this again this past weekend with my son. He was at our house to visit with his son. He had been there only long enough to "go get coffee" with his new female friend and then take a shower, when he started nodding off. Of course it was just because he was tired. He hadn't had much sleep all week but when I spoke to him on the phone the night before he said he had slept for 12 hours the previous night. So which was the truth? Who cares really? He probably used when he was in the bathroom taking a shower. Needless to say, he didn't get much of a visit with my grandson. He can't be there when he is high. He blew it....again.

I am wondering if they really think we are stupid. We don't know what they look like when they are high after all this time. Tiny pupils, slurred words, lidded eyes, nodding off mid-sentence.

I am not even angry with him - he is an addict that is what addicts do when they are actively using. I am more angry with myself for letting him back in my house. I guess I need to re-charge my power shield and put it back in place.

I pray that one day he will get to the place he needs to be. I'll pray for your kids too.

4 comments:

  1. Terri,

    Guard your own boundaries and take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder that too: Do they think we are stupid and don't recognize they are high? I decided the fact that they're high makes them stupid enough to think we are.

    Yep, power up your shield. Thinking of you and your sweet grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhhhhhh I am so mad about that!!! Probably because I have lived it far too many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has just gotten worse. More than lying to me about being high, he stole from his female friend. Wiped out her bank account. Took money that was to buy formula for her baby. I encouraged her to file charges. Now, THAT makes me angry.

    ReplyDelete