Wednesday, October 5, 2011

How Big is Your Higher Power

My sixth grade teacher asked me how big my God was because I was worried about something that might or might not happen. She asked me if he was weak and tiny or big and strong. Even at the age of twelve the question made me stop and think. How big is my God?

I have carried that with me for a long while now and I still have to stop and ask myself that question when I start trying to control and manipulate situations. Am I so arrogant that I think that I am smarter, stronger, more loving that my God?  So sure that I know more about the plan that the universe has for my son than God does?

How big is my God? Big enough to keep me and my son safe? Big enough and strong enough to trust to know the bigger plan? Big enough to take over if I can be trusting enough to get out of the way and let go and let God?

That teacher passed away this year. She challenged me in many ways but the day she challenged me to define my faith in my higher power probably was one of the most important. Thank you Mrs. Hawk.

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME post! Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terri,
    Can you change your link to my blog on your sidebar? My address changed. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete