Monday, June 27, 2011

You know that feeling you get when..............?

We had a great weekend at my house. My 9 month old grandson came and spent 3 days and two nights. There is just something about having a baby in the house. He is such a happy little guy and is free with giggles and baby smooches. My son was also there and it was wonderful to watch him with his son.

Wonderful weekends have often been ruined by my son's additive behaviors. We could have had the most awesome time as a family and then out of seemingly no where my son would just go crazy over some minor thing. This sent the whole family into a frenzy and we would end up having a sleepless Sunday night worrying about him. Now I see that this was his way of making it okay to leave the house so that he could access drugs. After all we were "pissed" and really just "didn't want him to be there anyway". That made it our fault.

So, when I saw that I had missed call yesterday only 15 minutes after I dropped him off at his apartment my heart shifted into that crisis rhythm. My anxiety level immediatly went through the roof and I debated on whether or not to return the call. Of course I did. There was nothing wrong, he wasn't asking for money or demanding that I turn around and come back because he needed a ride somewhere. Nothing like that at all. He just wanted to ask a question. I told him that I worried when I saw that he called and he wondered why. I said, "I guess I need to get used to the idea that every conversation we have doesn't necessarily about something going wrong". 

He sent me a text later in the day thanking me for a used microwave that I got cheap and to thank me for helping him with the baby this weekend. Wow! It is good to have my son back. I have missed him. I hope he doesn't go away again and if he does I hope he will find his way back quickly.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your share....I understand as I've been in your position and am in it again. I know that teachers are presented to my son in the most unusual places and I look forward to see him walk the walk. I have to say too that if it hadn't been for FA, I don't think I would be where i am today....I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete