Thursday, June 2, 2011

Passing the Test

My son has been back in my house for a week. He can be here only as long as he works everyday and if he remains sober. He hasn't had any money since the weekend we had to ask him to leave because we found out he had stolen enough stuff from us to be charged with a felony. We got he stuff he pawned back but the stuff he sold outright there was no way to get that back. Anyway, as far as I know he has been sober for 8 days now. He came to my office after work. The first thing out of his mouth was, "I wish I got paid tomorrow." yeah me too! "Do you think you could loan me $30" NO! "Well, I need to find a way to buy the baby some formula" I bought formula last week and took it to them last Tuesday but if he needs formula, I will buy some more but I won't give you money. What else does he need? "A bottle brush" Got one. "Okay, that's cool. I don't need any money then". Okay. He left my office and went outside to take a phone call. On the way to pick up his dad, "I would really like to have some money for the weekend. Could I borrow some money?" No! I just paid $90 on your fine and you owe me that when you get paid on Monday. "oh, well I could pay you the $90 and the $30 on Monday" No, I don't have it. It cost us $600 to get the stuff out of pawn. We are broke. "So, you don't want me to have it or you don't have it?" It doesn't matter does it? I am not giving you any money. Why do you need money anyway? "I wanted to take that girl out to eat" Tell her you are broke and that you will take her next week after you get paid. She is supposedly in recovery. If she knows what addiction is she will understand that you have to pay for things you have done in the past before you can do things now.  Well, you all know that this converstation took many forms before it was over. The thing is, for the first time ever I was able to say no, see through the scam and not feel guilty. He may have found a way to get the drugs that I suspected (well pretty much knew) he was trying to find a way to get but I didn't enable him to get there. So, for today as far as I know he is still sober and probably just as important in my recovery......I passed the test!!!!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Yep, actually it is a hard lesson to learn, NO CASH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much easier to give it than play the game that goes along with it! The game is exhausting but I'll go to bed with a clear conscience tonight!

    ReplyDelete