Saturday, July 9, 2011

Prodigal Son???

My son sent us a text today. To paraphrase it went something like this: I am back! I forgot how good sober can feel. I have people who don't mind being around me now. I have two jobs that I like. I have a library card that I use often. I have people in my life who love me. I don't have to look out of my bedroom window and see the house that I started using in. I have a baby that I love more than life. I am broke but I am happy.

My response was, "We love you and have missed you. We are so happy that you came back to us!"

Okay, the first thought I had was, "rent is due next Monday and he is not sure how he is going to make it." My second thought was, "I am happy that he is sober and doing well today". We are so happy that you are here for today.

Love and peace to you all.
Terri

4 comments:

  1. I know that feeling well....wanting to skip the "what's the real meaning behind this conversation" part and just enjoy the good stuff. I think there will come a day when we can do that (I hope so). I'm glad he's doing so well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Barbara. I hope that everything works out for your son in a way that will support his recovery. You have been in my prayers.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope he is still doing well! Encouraging words my friend. Happy for you! and Mostly rooting for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jan! I have very much rooting for him also! As far as I can tell he is doing well...today. He is learning what it feels like to feel again. Like with all of us, some days are good and some days are not. He will need to make the choice in how he deals with the bad days.

    ReplyDelete