Monday, November 19, 2012

November 19, 2011

A year ago on this date our family was waiting for a bed to come open for our son in a state funded rehab facility. Wondering if he would stick around for the 3 or 4 days that it was going to take for that to happen and if he did stick around would he manage to not use for that amount of time?

Re-reading the post that I wrote that day brought back all of those feelings of anxiety and fear that I felt during that time.

He got into a facility just a few days after that but it wasn't "the time" that he would stay clean. In fact he got booted from rehab for inappropriate contact with a female resident and they left together and went on a 2 week binge. Which was one of several binges before he hopped a bus and moved to a different state for six months.

Today is a different day. My son is living with my mom and dad, he is looking for a job near their home and is looking forward to having his son with him for Thanksgiving. He will be able to have him from Wednesday evening until around noon on Sunday.

He still has some outstanding warrants that he is going to have to deal with at some point. I have reminded him that they don't just go away and that the situation could just get worse the longer that he ignores it. What he decides to do will be up to him and only he can deal with the consequences.

I don't know that this is "the time" that my son will decide to not pick up again. Today I am just thankful that he is alive, healthy and sober.

That is a lot to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment