Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Signing on the dotted line.......

I have learned not to co-sign for anything with my son. At least not until he has had some proven sobriety under his belt. Years of proven sobriety!


I co-signed a lease for him back in September when he had a great job and was living in a homeless shelter. When he had the money to pay the first month's rent we agreed to pay the deposit and co-sign the lease so he would be eligible. Within in a month everything went to hell in a hand basket. He was shooting everything he made into his arm and never paid utilities (also in my name) and but for his last annuity check, would not have paid any rent. We insisted that he pay at least through the end of the year and pay us back the month we covered for him. In reality, he only earned money to pay one month's rent. He was drugging up his entire pay check.


We knew that my job was ending at the end of December so we socked away enough to cover January. The landlord has been very accommodating to me. He let me in the apartment to do some cleaning at the first of this month. I let him know then that we weren't sure what was going to happen with our son, he sort of indicated then that he was willing to work with us and my son no matter what the outcome was.


I called him yesterday to let him know that my son was court ordered to long term treatment and would not be coming back to the apartment. I asked to get into the apartment this week to clean it out and get it ready for the next renter. They are going to release me from the lease. Thank goodness. We won't get the deposit back but at least I won't have that black mark on my credit.


Also yesterday, a counselor from the rehab called to ask me about bringing my son's clothes. I explained that I have to work with the landlord to get into the apartment since I don't have a key. Then I added, "Frankly, I am not jumping through hoops to make it happen either" and that I would get them there at some point this week. She said, "I understand. You have already jumped through all of those hoops haven't you?" Yes ma'am and then some!!!!


I hope you are seeing a little sunshine where you are today. Both figuratively and literally!




4 comments:

  1. Well I am glad she understood your reasoning. Sometimes those simple acts of understanding can mean so much. You know they get it. Once I called to check on my girl in jail and I felt compelled to let the jailer know that we weren't coming to see her, but it wasn't because we don't care about her....I think it was one of the first times she was ever in jail. The kind voice on the other end of the phone said, "I can promise you that I would never think that." And I burst into tears. LOL
    If I was closer I would come help you clean up..... I am glad the landlord is letting you out of the lease.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just your offer to help clean up made me tear up! Thank you for knowing how much that means!!!!

      Delete
  2. What a huge relief it must have been when the landlord said he would release you from that lease! Thank God! I'm glad that the court ordered long term treatment for your son and hoping and praying this is another beginning for him Terri.

    ReplyDelete