Monday, June 25, 2012

A Hard Few Days

My favorite uncle passed away rather suddenly last Friday. I spent two days in ICU with my family while he was on a ventilator. He and his twin brother were only 7 years older than me and we spent a lot of time together growing up. They taught me to ride a bike, walk on stilts, put a worm on a hook, shoot a BB gun. You know, all those important things a girl needs to know. I will miss him terribly but feel blessed to have such wonderful memories of spending summers and holidays with them.

My uncle was an alcoholic. He drank everyday since he was 18 years old. Suprisingly, his liver was not damaged terribly and while I am sure his drinking contributed to his inability to fight off the infection that killed him, it was not the primary cause of death. I guess it seldom really is.

It is uncanny that my son should call today, the day of the funeral, to tell me he can't make it where he is anymore. He says he is not getting paid from his job, may be homeless soon, etc. but that he is trying soooo hard to make it. I think this is the chorus of a song that I have heard so many times before.

I am so tired today. I need to get off the merry-go-round for a little while.

6 comments:

  1. I sorry to hear. Take care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your uncle. It sounds like he was more like a brother than an uncle. :o( Be gentle with yourself mama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annette,
      He was more like a big brother. Teasing and hair pulling included. I loved him so much. I think he knew that.
      I am building a relationship with his son, the son's wife and their child.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Terri, I'm sending you my deepest sympathies at the loss of your uncle (who sounds more like a cousin). Its so hard to lose someone without much warning, especially with such great memories attached.

    Sounds like you need a little break. Wouldn't it b nice to go away for a weekend (all expenses paid of course!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,I like the way you think! Where do I sign up? ;-)

      Thanks for thinking about me.

      Delete