Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Does anyone else do this?

Sometimes I glance up at the clock on my computer at the 10:13 and think, "That's my son's birthday". He was born on October 13, 1988. You would think that was a Friday with all the misadventures he has had in his life, but it was a beautiful, cool, crisp, Thursday morning. He weighed 7 lbs and 15 oz. and was the most beautiful new born I'd ever seen.

He was born with a bowel obstruction and had to have some tests done and I couldn't see him for more than 12 hours after he was born. I remember calling and asking the nurse to bring him to me several times. He was fine and didn't require surgery and we actually ended up going  home the next day.

He grew into a vivacious, active, inquisitive beautiful toddler. His grade school years were tough because he had a hard time sitting still and paying attention. We had numerous conferences with his various teachers. When he was in the 4th grade his teacher told us he was a "delight" to have in her class. I profusely thanked the teacher with tears in my eyes....she must have thought I was nuts. Little did she know. ;-)

Middle school was hell for us all. He really got in to being the "cool" guy and doing school work was not cool. His teachers loved him but he just wouldn't do what needed to be done to get good grades. They all said he was capable. One teacher suggested I show up and spend the day at school in his classrooms and follow him through his day. He was mortified when I showed up and took my seat in his first morning class. His friends all thought it was "cool" that I was there and by lunch time he was asking me to sit with him in the cafeteria! Go figure!

Jr. High and through the tenth grade....well, he might as well not showed up at all. He ended up leaving school mid term of the 11th grade and getting his GED. He yelled at me one time and asked why I didn't make him go to school. I told him other than chain myself to him and drag him from class to class I did everything I knew to do. I dropped him off at the front door and he would walk out the back door.

Anyway, I just glanced at the clock and it is 10:13. I sure do miss my little boy.

Wishing us all peace today.

3 comments:

  1. Terri, You and I have many similarities today. My girls birthday is Oct 25, 1988 and our trouble began in middle school also. I am missing the little girl I once knew today too. Its just a bad day....but I am still praying for our kids. God see's them and knows their hearts and can do what we are not able to manage. I am thinking about you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boy is just 1 year to the day younger than yours. His school difficulties began in 2nd grade. Same issues. I am truly finding though, I can live in some very strong peace even with a shattered heart. I pray for yours and everyone else's children.

    ReplyDelete