Tuesday, April 10, 2012

D-Day

My daughter-in-law is filing for divorce today. It is the right thing to do. She needs closure and permission to go on with her life. My grandson needs something in writing about child support,  visitation and custody. He has a right to the insurance settlement check my son will be getting in a couple of years. My son needs to provide for his son and if that takes a court order so be it.

I really don't think the divorce will change my relationship with her. We have developed this sort of odd friendship and trust through the whole ordeal. I suggested an attorney for her to use and I am paying part of the fees. How weird is that? I have told her that I don't "throw people away".  Just because her relationship with my son didn't work out doesn't mean I automatically stopped loving her.

I know my relationship with my grandson won't change. She may move away with him at some point but I think she understands how important the bond between us is to us both and will continue to allow me the privilege of being a part of his life.

Still, I can't help but feel a little sad today. I guess I will own it at get through it.

Praying for us all today.

6 comments:

  1. You are such a brave, well rounded mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Annette. Thank you but I am not so sure about that. I just try to do what I feel is the right thing. Most of the time I am scared to death and pray that it all works out for the best in the end.

      Delete
  2. Its natural to feel sad about this. But like you said, you have a good relationship with your d-i-l and she understands the special bond you have with your grandson. What mother would not want their child to have a wonderful. loving Grandma!!!! I was thrilled that Keven's grandparents wanted to be part of his life even though his dad and I were never married and his dad was a jerk.

    Praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If my daughter ever divorced from her husband I might get a chance to see my grandchildren. I'd gladly contribute to the legal fees. The little guy is lucky to have you as a grandma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! She put in the paperwork that even if my son doesn't exercise his visitation rights that I still can. I feel like I just won a big battle. I feel like she would have any way but to have it writing means a lot.

      Delete