Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Swapping Stories

In addition to embracing the empty nest idea today, I also had the opportunity to talk to one of my daughter's friends who recently left rehab and is headed to a sober living facility.

She knows about my son and she knows I know about her. Both are opiate addicts. We shared some things and then she said, "It is really weird that my family feels on guard when I am around. My sister bought a safe and locks all her stuff up when I am there". I told her that I have a safe because if of my son. She said that she hates that they feel that way now that she is sober. I told her that it would take a while for them to trust her again but that she could earn that back.

I also told her that I feel like it is my duty as parent to lock my stuff up, not to protect my stuff but to protect my son. I don't want to put temptation out there for  him. She thought about that for a minute and nodded her head at me. I have known her since she was eleven. She is 19 now.

She is a beautiful young women who knows way too much about the world for someone her age.

I'll pray for her tonight extra and continue to pray for all of ours.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to share with this young lady with honesty. I really don't think they get it...because their intentions are so good when they are sober. Not being in our shoes, they can't understand how long it will take to regain the trust.

    ReplyDelete